FRUCOM final reply to the EU consultation on a Sustainable EU food system initiative
8 AUGUST 2022
FRUCOM's reply to the questionnaire and position paper about the EU consultation on a sustainable EU food system initiative have been submitted to the EU Commission consultation page and directly to the EU officials.
The main points of FRUCOM's position were the following:
- All definitions used must be clear, logical, and convincing.
- The methodologies developed or adopted must be both sound, globally inclusive, and transparent.
- Any sustainability labelling of agri-food products should be voluntary in nature.
- Full account must be taken of the costs and burden of new policies on sustainable food systems actors.
- The initiative and its policies must be WTO compatible, coherent with the EU’s own rules and its international commitments, and prioritise cooperation over unilateral measures.
- A sensible timeframe and support for implementation and compliance with the new initiative must be put in place.
- Nutrition plays a pivotal role in the shift to a sustainable food system.
- FRUCOM takes a neutral view on questions pertaining to setting food composition targets for sugar, salt, saturated fat, and on restricting marketing of foods high in sugar, salt and saturated fats.