President-elect of the European Commission presented her team and priorities for the next 5 years
18 SEPTEMBER 2019
On 10 September, President-elect of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, presented her team and the new structure of the next European Commission. Among the candidates for Commissioners, please note:
- Phil Hogan (Ireland), the incumbent Commissioner for Agriculture, will be in charge in the new Commission of the ‘Trade' portfolio.
- Stella Kyriakides (Cyprus), a medical psychologist will lead the ‘Health' portfolio.
- Janusz Wojciechowski (Poland) will be in charge of the portfolio ‘Agriculture’
The structured proposed by the president-elect reflects the three main priorities of the next Commission:
- An Executive Vice-President, Frans Timmermans (Netherlands), will coordinate the work on the European Green Deal.
- An Executive Vice-President, Margrethe Vestager (Denmark), will coordinate the agenda on a “Europe fit for the digital age” and be the Commissioner for Competition.
- An Executive Vice-President, Valdis Dombrovskis (Latvia), will coordinate the work on an “Economy that Works for People”
Please see here the list of the Commissioners presented by Ursula von der Leyen.
- The European Parliament should hold hearings with each of the candidates for Commissioner. Thus, the composition of the next Commission can still change.
- Once the process of hearings is over, the European Parliament should give its consent to the entire College of Commissioners;
- The next Commission should take office on 1st November 2019.